The Community Reading Room aspires to be a life-affirming space for BIPOC communities to encounter texts that acknowledge, validate and place their lived experience and creative practice at the centre, rather than the margin.
The Community Reading Room (CRR) is a pop-up destination for research, community discussion and engagement with ideas about art, culture and identity.
Founded by Fijian-Australian artist and academic Torika Bolatagici in 2013, the CRR is an experimental discursive project that invites people to consider the inclusivity of public spaces and to contemplate how our institutions of knowledge privilege particular methodologies and ways of knowing.Each iteration of the CRR evolves from the previous installation and responds to the space in which it is located.
The CRR has been presented at Colour Box Studio (2013); Footscray Community Arts Centre (2014) Testing Grounds (2017) and Arts House (2017). The CRR will be returning to Testing Grounds in May 2019 so keep an eye on the events page for more information about installation dates and public programming.
For more information or collaboration proposals please email Torika: email@example.com.
- May 8, 2019 – Jun 15, 2019 Black Tourmaline // CRR // Testing Grounds 2019 May 8, 2019 – Jun 15, 2019
- Jun 28, 2018 Lunchtime Lit: Collectives Book Club Jun 28, 2018
- May 6, 2018 Human Rights Arts and Film Festival May 6, 2018
- Jul 19, 2017 – Jul 30, 2017 Arts House Season 2 Jul 19, 2017 – Jul 30, 2017
- Feb 24, 2017 Black Birds present Th(i)rd C(u)lture Feb 24, 2017
- Feb 23, 2017 This Mob presents Inter-ACTION: A Reading and a Response Workshop Feb 23, 2017
- Feb 18, 2017 Still Nomads present 'Nomadic Space Jam' Feb 18, 2017
- Feb 17, 2017 Stéphanie Kabanyana Kanyandekwe: Performative Reading Feb 17, 2017